How to boot into text mode when inittab set to X

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Sat Sep 20 03:11:53 UTC 2008

Is there a way to boot up in text mode even when system is set to boot up in X?

I need a way (if it exists) other than editing inittab or running setup.

Almost always, I want it to go ahead and boot up into
KDE.  Occasionally, though, I'd like to boot up in text mode.

Is there a way to interrupt the boot sequence to tell it to start up
in text mode for just this session?

I tried "Press I to enter interactive startup" on bootup, figuring
there might be an option in there, but it just blows right by that
and doesn't give me time to hit "I".

Thanks...