FOLLOWUP: F9: Outgoing mail using "mail" doesn't work

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Sat Sep 20 15:58:24 UTC 2008

OK, here's the deal.

Every time I boot up Fedora 9, in either my "real" machine or my
VMware virtual machine, sendmail comes up in some kind of goofball
misbehaving state where it thinks it is sending mail out, and
/var/log/maillog claims it sent the mail out, but the mail just sits
there in /var/spool/mqueue and never actually gets sent.

If I go in as root and say "/etc/init.d/sendmail restart" then it
appears to work from that time forward, until the next reboot.

I tried adding "/etc/init.d/sendmail restart" to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
but that didn't work until I added "sleep 5" before the "sendmail
restart" line, now it seems to work from bootup.

This is all new behavior in F9... never saw anything like this in
earlier versions all the way back to FC2.

Eric