What's with 2.6.26.3-29.fc9.i686??

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Sep 21 02:01:11 UTC 2008

I have been running this system in a virtual machine for several months, since
the previous hardware got too old to tolerate. I did a few updates after the new
key came out, and finally decide to take the time to update to current. Luckily
I did it in a copy of the machine, the new kernel will not boot, it gives me the
kernel version selection screen, one line of "booting" message, and then goes
away... using 100% of a CPU to do it.

I can't get any information, at that point it's wedged. Since it's a "very
production" machine there's not much testing I'm willing to do, so this is just
a note that booting problems are not limited to laptops.

In a few days I will build another VM from scratch, then see if the problem
replicates. The host is an FC6 base, 2.6.22.14-72.fc6PAE kernel with KVM-65
installed. I have a new quad to build on an FC9 base, I'll see if that tells me
more. At least I can run expendable VMs on it without hurting anything.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>