desperately seeking "IgnoreEDID"

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Sep 22 00:30:07 UTC 2008

On 21Sep2008 16:27, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> Quoting Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>:
>>> in the long term, yes, we will eventually figure out what EDID info
>>> the video device should have but, in the short term, as tom appreciates,
>>> i just want my F9 system to ignore/ignore/ignore whatever is coming
>>> back in terms of EDID.  and, thus far, i have been utterly unable to
>>> do so.
>>
>> Thats what Option "DDC" "False" does, it turns off DDC and thus EDID
>
>   i just happen to be in the lab since i wanted to test the earlier
> [...] so i gave this a shot (with the original radeon driver).
> [...],  the end result is the same --

Robert,

Have you read "man radeon" at all?  In the "man radeon" on a handy gentoo
system it says:

      Option "IgnoreEDID" "boolean"
          Do  not use EDID data for mode validation, but DDC is still
          used for monitor detection. This is different from NoDDC
          option.  The default value is off.

      Option "DDCMode" "boolean"
          Force to use the modes queried from the connected monitor.  The
          default is off.

I see that "NoDDC" and "DDCMode" appear to be spelt differently, but
neither is spelt "DDC" unless the X server treats "NoDDC" as a synonym
for "DDC" "False" per Alan's suggestion.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless
means to side with the powerful, not to be Neutral.
        - Quote by Freire. Poster by OXFAM.