What DHCP command to use, to get DNS

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Sep 22 18:48:53 UTC 2008

Jim wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Jim wrote:
>>
>>> FC8
>>> What dhcp command do I use to get DNS number from ISP ?
>>>

>> I think you will have to give more details about what you are trying
>> to do. Normally, you will get the name server information as part of
>> the DHCP lease. The information will be put in /etc/resolv.conf
>>
>> Mikkel
>>
> I know how to make all settings change, I just want to get the DNS # .
>
> Thank you

The problem is that we still don't know what you are trying to do.
What do you mean by DNS number? It sounds like you want the IP
address of your ISP's name servers, but I am not sure.

If that is what you are after, then we need a bit more information -
are you using a static or dynamic IP address for your NIC? Does your
computer connect directly to the Internet (To the cable/DSL modem,
or dialup?) or are you going through another computer or a
firewall/router? Do you want things to be set up automatically, or
do you want to enter them by hand?

Depending on your setup, and what you are trying to do, you may be
trying to use the wrong tool for the job. But there is no way to
tell that from the information you have given us.

Mikkel