update notification dialog conflicts with authenticate dialog

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 09:25:37 UTC 2008

What I was doing:

I was checking to see if a couple of volumes had mounted properly.
Got the "Enter the root password." authenticate dialog. (Why isn't
that a sudo dialog like the Mac OS presents, so you don't have to
give out the root password to everybody?)

Then the updater dialog pops up.

Freeze.

The updater dialog is in front, covering all buttons on the
authenticate dialog. I'm not sure it would matter that the buttons
are covered, because the close box does not respond. And no button on
the updater dialog responds to mouse clicks. In fact, nothing on the
screen responds.

I switched to a character console, logged in as root, and killed a
notification-something process, and returned to the X console to find
it responsive again, with the updater notification dialog gone, of
course.

Anybody seen this? is it already in Bugzilla?

And can anyone tell me how to get the updater to refrain from running
when ordinary users log in?