To pand or not to pand? That is my question.

Andrew Kenton Mitchell andrew.mitchell at wdidata.net
Sat Sep 27 16:26:37 UTC 2008

I travel a lot (frankly, to much in fact).  Since I don't really know
where I will be from one day to the next, a dependable internet
connection is not always available, if you don't bring your own.

That's why I carry a Samsung Blackjack II (SGH-i617) running Windows
Mobile 6.1.  I set up DKMS (Dynamic Kernel Module Support) and installed
Synce-lite-rndis.  This way I can connect to Internet Connection Sharing
through my Fedora rndis0 network interface and share the connection via
USB.  This works great for general surfing and emailing.  However, some
larger bandwidth transactions such  downloads or email attachment stall out.

I think it is important that I mention, this stalling has NOT once
occurred when connected to a Microsoft Windows system.

The minimum MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) and MRU (Maximum Receive
Unit) suggested by the RNDIS specification is 8064.  The current FC9 and
FC10 kernnels (and I suspect other distributions, as well) support
maximum MTUs and/or MRUs of 8050.

I am currently operating under the theory that this difference of 14 is
either the root of my problem or a contributing factor.

As a means to test my theory, I thought I would attempt an ICS
connection over Bluetooth since the suggested MTUs and MRUs are (if I
remember correctly) 1691 according to Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area
Network) specifications.

I have previously connected to PANs before using /usr/bin/pand to
establish the connection once the devices are paired and Linux network
interfaces are created.  The pand binary was previously provided by the
bluez-utils RPM.

i am currently running bluez-utils-3.35-5.fc9.i386.  /usr/bin/pand is
not insalled on my system.  If I run:

    # yum provides */pand

The following results are provided:

bluez-utils-3.35-3.fc9.i386 : Bluetooth utilities
Matched from:
Filename    : /etc/rc.d/init.d/pand
Filename    : /etc/sysconfig/pand

bluez-utils-3.30-2.fc9.i386 : Bluetooth utilities
Matched from:
Filename    : /etc/sysconfig/pand
Filename    : /etc/rc.d/init.d/pand
Filename    : /usr/bin/pand

bluez-utils-3.35-5.fc9.i386 : Bluetooth utilities
Matched from:
Filename    : /etc/rc.d/init.d/pand
Filename    : /etc/sysconfig/pand

bluez-utils-3.35-5.fc9.i386 : Bluetooth utilities
Matched from:
Filename    : /etc/rc.d/init.d/pand
Filename    : /etc/sysconfig/pand

Pand is in bluez-utils-3.30-2.fc9.i386.  However, it is not in
bluez-utils-3.35-5.fc9.i386.  This would indicate to me that pand is no
longer in FC9.  I know for a while it had disappeared from FC10 but I
understand has since returned.

So, is pand being depreciated or is there a problem with the
bluez-utils-3.35-5.fc9.i386 RPM.

If pand is in fact being depreciated, can anybody tell me what its
replacement is?

If there is a problem with the bluez-utils-3.35-5.fc9.i386 RPM, who
should be notified and what is the best way to report this issue?

Thanks,