LVMs really frustrating me...

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 07:31:53 UTC 2008

I'm trying to copy data from an old laptop drive to a new one.

I spent a lot of time trying to mount /dev/sdb3, which I thought was the
data part of the old hard drive.   After a period of time, I found it to be
a logical partition, not an ext3 partition.

/sbin/fdisk /dev/sdb

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/sdb: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x9aa39aa3

/dev/sdb1   *           1        2076    16675438+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sdb2            2077        2101      200812+  83  Linux
/dev/sdb3            2102        9729    61271910   8e  Linux LVM

I did a bunch of digging and learning and I found this:

# /usr/sbin/lvdisplay /dev/sdb3
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 7 left open
  WARNING: Duplicate VG name VolGroup00: Existing
YqG9FW-dYws-fSyZ-9lHS-ABjH-NuA5-GimBgI (created here) takes precedence over
M7hbJ2-PNaC-5B8V-7VL8-vsWy-XuD0-LvkXVK
  Volume group "sdb3" not found

>From this I conclude that my computer has 2 LVs of VolGroup00 and in fact,
it does.    sda2 and sdb3.

I was perfectly competent at mounting and working with regular
partitions.    But these LVMs are a different matter.    How does one rename
the partition so that there aren't 2 the same and then mount it ?  There is
no LV option in mount. How does one fix the fact that there are 2 VGs with
the same name ?

I don't need to use LVs.   Is there a way to convert a working system to use
regular partitions ?   I tried gparted, but it doesn't work with LVs.

Thanks.