fc10 and raid-10

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Sep 29 19:22:11 UTC 2008

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Stuart Sears wrote:
>> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Nested_levels
>>
>> ah, but...
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_RAID_levels
>>
>> See the Linux MD RAID 10 section.
>> (or man md, if you'd prefer)
>>

> Ah, that RAID-10 ;-)
>
> It's naming is a little confusing; RAID-10 (as used by the installer) is
> what the installer uses to create RAID-1+0 (commonly referred to as
> RAID-10, but indeed just "mirroring a stripeset" (1+0), but in one
> single layer (10)), and hence requires 4 disks.
>
> There's no RAID-10 in the installer as you refer to just like there is
> no RAID LVM configuration, and whatnot. The installer is a helper
> program to make the initial configuration for a new installation a
> breeze, not to make sure it has every little checkbox for every possible
> option.
>
> If this isn't the appropriate configuration for you, then maybe
> switching to the console on tty2 and creating the MD yourself or
> providing a kickstart file with the correct %pre script solves the problem.

The problem is that there is a "raid10" entry in the raid part of the installer.
And since this is being done by the software raid, it's confusing to have raid10
mean one thing to the installer and another in the man pages and to the man who
maintains the code. I would like raid10 to be raid10, I would settle to have the
installer call it raid1+0 to use the correct terminology.

> Don't get me wrong, it *could* be a very nice feature to add to the
> installer, but then again we *must* prevent the installer from being
> obfuscated for normal users.

My point exactly, if the raid10 in the installer doesn't mean the same thing as
the raid code and the raid man pages, it confuses the hell out of the users. Not
to mention that there's no clean way to get to the raid10 supported by the
kernel, which allows any number of drives >1, and considerably better
performance with -f2 used for swap.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>