VDQ : machine names??

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Mon Sep 29 21:21:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:19:54 -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:

> I Beartooth wrote:
>> 	I know it's a Very Dumb Question; I just can't find a general
>> answer that works.
	[....]
>> 	Clue, please? Pretty please?
>>

> Three files can affect the system name.
>
> The name seen in the prompt is from the hostname command, which gets set
> from:
> /etc/sysconfig/network
> HOSTNAME=

	OK, I changed that one on this machine.

> When your system connects to the network, it can tell the network which
> name it wants to be known as.  This name, which dynamic DNS servers can
> receive from the DHCP service, are configured in the network
> configuration script, such as:
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 DHCP_HOSTNAME=

	That one already had the name I wanted.

> Programs on your local system use a consistent method to look up IP
> addresses and associated host names.  In most cases, the local
> /etc/hosts file is consulted first, and then DNS or other services.
> Therefore, some applications on your system, like sendmail, can get
> hostname from:
> /etc/hosts

	Two very odd things. First nano -w doesn't make it obvious to me
(though perhaps it should) how much is one line, how much another :

  GNU nano 2.0.6              File: /etc/
hosts

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost localhost
::1             localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

	I have no idea where that 6 comes from, nor what it's doing there.

	Second, if I open Computer > Filesystem > /etc with nautilus, I
don't see hosts at all! The search button or search tool on my panel
finds 81 files whose name contains "hosts", one of which is indeed /etc/
hosts; but clicking on that does get it in gedit, which looks much the
same :

127.0.0.1		localhost.localdomain localhost localhost
::1		localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

	Is what begins with "::1" really a different line, then, than the
127.0.0.1 line?

	Also, it doesn't say not to edit that line, just not to delete
it. Do I want to change "localhost" (without the 6) there??

> These three files/methods cover %99 of user systems, and are very likely
> all you would need to look at.
>
> Good Luck!

	Thanks! I've got a feelin' I'm gonna need it ...

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3