Another basic networking question.

Simon Slater pyevet at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 2 02:04:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-01 at 18:37 -0700, Nifty Fedora Mitch wrote:
> One question per post please.

Sorry, I didn't want to start different threads that come back to the
one issue, which would be how different physical pieces of equipment get
addressed and so know who to talk to or go through.

> The only requirement is that they have a unique MAC address.
> With Ether-switches and trunking it is possible to improve
> bandwidth in some cases.   These are the cases where if you
> have to ask why or how you should not.

I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of the many ways to do thing in
Linux.  Fedora has been the platform I've used since FC1, but only now
am I getting adventurous and improving how things are setup here.

> The most common case for the use of two nics is to access
> two nets.  It is not necessary to route between networks.
> One strategy is to dedicate a net for storage traffic and
> another network for some other communication traffic.
>
> The second common case is to act as a network gateway, firewall, NAT
> or bridge etc...  i.e. a router.

Yes, a firewall gateway is the intended setup.  Thanks.

--
Regards,
Simon Slater