Another basic networking question.

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Apr 2 02:09:29 UTC 2009

Simon Slater wrote:

>> Maybe because he is trying to learn and the evidence has shown that
>> someone on this list will be willing to indulge almost any question even
>> though answers can be found with a bit of work?
>>

> 	I know these are very basic.  As I have been setting things up and
> expanding things, I've found lots of docs and howto's on individual
> components and how they work, but along the line I missed networking
> pre-school.  I got the Linux Networking Cookbook yesterday and it covers
> things well in a step-by-step manner, but still assumes I know some
> things I don't.  Another book is on order but will be 2 weeks and is
> more advanced than this one by the sound of it.  Other books recommended
> on this list are proving hard to find through local suppliers.

Yes, they are somewhat basic questions...

I know what you mean by books and their availability.  My situation is
even a bit more acute since the books I want/need are often
available....but only in Chinese.  So, I do have to suffer while I wait
for the UPS guy to deliver from Amazon.
> 	The way my mind works I like to understand the fundamentals, but with
> networking I've jumped in further.  Over the years I've found that
> people with experience can explain things with more clarity than many
> authors, hence approaching this list.

Well....  I still feel that sometimes this list is over used for topics
that can better be discussed elsewhere.   I just don't feel this list is
the proper place to discuss general networking theory/practice.  Now,
how to implement networking practices under fedora/red hat systems would
be more appropriate....and sure there are grey areas (or gray
areas)...but your Qs are as you say....basic.