VMware server 2.0 on 64-bit F10

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Thu Apr 2 14:47:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 07:30 -0600, Wendell Nichols wrote:
> Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
> > I'm unable to connect to VMware Server 2 via https://127.0.0.1:8333. The
> > connection times out. I've been reading fragments of reports elsewhere
> > on the web that others are running into major problems with VMware
> > Server 2 on 64-bit F10. They all say they can't shut down VMware
> > services or re-run vmware-config.pl without hard resetting via the power
> > switch. Some have suggested shutting down SELinux (add selinux=0 to
> > grub.conf), but this doesn't fix the problem. Others have suggested
> > shutting down the firewall. Again, no joy.
> >
> > Can anyone point me to a working solution?
> >
> > --Doc Savage
> >   Fairview Heights, IL
> >

> Did you finish the install by running "vmware-config.pl" ?  Its a must.
> and you must have your kernel dev packages installed to do it.
> Second:  do "service vmware status" to see if the services are up ... if
> not start them.
> Also try your non https port at 8222 (which is the default, you can
> change it in the config script).
> wcn

I run 2 servers with VMware Server on F10 at my church and have seen
this before. I think it's a bug somewhere, but am not really sure. I
think it's that something gets crossed up with kernel versions in the
VMware Server configuration.

What I usually do to fix the problem - believe it or not - is to
shutdown and reboot the server. Twice.

What this seems to do is to force VMware to figure out that it isn't
properly configured and then allows you to run vmware-config.pl
successfully.

As to the questions about selinux and the firewall:

- Yes, selinux must be disabled. Nobody has yet figured out exactly why.
It's an ongoing issue. Permissive mode doesn't cut it. But you can
disable it from the selinux menu (System --> Administration --> SELinux
Administration).

- No you do NOT have to disable the firewall. But you DO have to allow
communication on ports 901, 902, 8222, and 8333. I usually open them up
for both TCP and UDP, even though UDP is probably not needed.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Chris