Resources to learn C

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sun Apr 5 15:22:32 UTC 2009

Hi Paul;

I have noticed this thread has drifted down memory lane.  To return to
your original question ....

On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 18:51 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to learn C. Could you please suggest to me some resources
> to help me with learning C? Preferably, I would like find online
> resources.

Are you a student?  Meaning do you have a course outline you have to
follow and learning deadlines you have to meet?

Are you completely new to programming or do you just want to add 'C' to
other programming skills you already have?

I ask because over the last two or three years I have taught myself the
rudiments of 'C' after having done nothing more than a few small bash
scripts and some M$ VBA.  I found there was several different paths you
could take and depending on your skill level many dead ends or side
paths you can get your self trapped in.  I am willing to share some
eureka moments with you if I had an idea what level you are starting at.

For example, if you are completely new to programming, I suggest
starting with gedit or kedit.  The learning curve on emacs and vim are
so high you could spend your first 10 to 20 hours just getting familiar
with either of them before really writing a line of code -- and then
hours of frustration thereafter.  All the pro's swear by one or the
other because they are text editors made for heavy lifting.  But they
are not where you want to be when just starting.  They can come later.

Let us know, I am willing, and I am sure others on this list would be
willing, to get you started.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 10, Gnome 2.24.3