Chown ???

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Apr 8 22:32:29 UTC 2009

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>> Rick Stevens wrote:

>>> ASR33s also had the paper tape punch and reader.  KSR33s did not.  I
>>> had both hooked up to my Altair 8800 back in '77 via 110 baud, 20mA
>>> current
>>> loop serial interfaces.
>>>
>>> Ah, memories!
>>> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks at nerd.com -
>>> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 22643734            Yahoo: origrps2 -
>>> -                                                                    -
>>> -        Polygon: A dead parrot (With apologies to John Cleese)      -
>>>
>> ASR33 on  a Altair, that far back, You must be at least 100,  I started
>> out on a RCA 1802 8 bit and I still have it.
>> I modified it to work on S100 bus so I could get more memory , 64k , man
>> you were top dog with that kind of memory.
>>
> Maybe he was talking about an Altair 8008. Intel 8080 processor,
> S-100 bus, front panel with status and data LEDs. Address/data
> toggle switches, and a few control toggles.

No, an Altair 8800 (from MITS...Micro Instrumentation Telemetry
Systems).  IMSAI had the IMSAI 8080 (from IMS Associates, Inc.).  Bet
you didn't know the actual names of the companies, did ya?  :-)

The Altair's front panel was set up with toggle switches in an octal
(3-switch gang) format on a metal front panel.  The IMSAI had   paddle-
style switches (a'la PDP-11s) in a hex (4-switch gang) format on a
Plexiglass front panel.  I had both machines, along with a Processor
Tech SOL-20 and a PolyMorphic Systems' Poly-88

They all had Intel 8080 or 8080A CPUs (well, the SOL-20 had an AMD
9080).  All were S-100 bus format.  The Altair had an 18-slot
motherboard (in separate 4-slot chunks you had to jumper together with
INDIVIDUAL wires), the IMSAI had a single, 22-slot motherboard.  The
Poly-88 had a single 6-slot motherboard, the SOL-20 had a 4-slot
expansion S-100 expansion bus (the CPU and all I/O were on the main
board, similar to what we have now).  All of them were kits (I melted a
HELL of a lot of solder back in those days).

> Toggle in the paper tape loader in binary. Then load the system
> monitor/program from paper tape. I remember loading an assembler
> from paper tape, and then feeding the program source from another tape.

I had several different EPROM boards with primitive monitor programs
(think the old ODT program on DEC PDP-11s)

> Mikkel

- If at first you don't succeed, quit. No sense being a damned fool! -