Service Configuration

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Apr 8 23:54:35 UTC 2009

Kam Leo wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Jan <janniesen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear reader,
>>
>> I am trying as root, to get into Service Configuration.
>> System -> Administration -> Services.
>>
>> The Service Configuration utility starts but keeps on waiting. Everything is
>> grayed out and I can’t do anything here.
>>
>> Might there be a bug or, did I forget something?
>> Could you please give me an answer to this problem?
>>
>> Thank you very much in advance.
>>

>> Kind regards,
>> Jan Niesen
>>

> Do you have system-config-services installed? If not, do "sudo yum
> install system-config-services".

In my case, one of the system that I have is a 667Mhz
Pentium III, 512MB RAM, may take a long time
before services complete and display.  In my case,
it took 15-20 minutes.  Services are very CPU/Mem
intensive.  You can check this out visually with gkrellm,
a graphical systems monitor.

If this is not the case with you, then there are some services
that you may have installed that are not friendly to the services
gui (but chkconfig works fine).  One example is that of  "virtual"
services (like libvirt* and virtaal) and then some. If you do not
have libvirt* or virtaal installed,  then you may have to use the
"divide and conquer" against the services list to find the "offending"
service(s) and disable and/or remove them.

FWIW,
Dan