Chown ???

Sharpe, Sam J sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 14:20:25 UTC 2009

2009/4/10 Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>:
> If you're a moderately old-timer, you can do hex to binary in your head.
> If you're even older, you can do octal to decimal, and vice versa.  For
> extra brownie points, you know EBCDIC in your head.  ;-)

I'm under 30 and I can do that. I belong to probably one of the first
generations that grew up with Computers in the home. (ZX81 -> ZX
Spectrum 48K -> IBM AT etc.). Am I classified as a moderately
old-timer yet?

Hex to binary is pretty easy because each digit represents a separate
nibble and my Mother taught me that at a young age. I'm not so good on
oct<->dec because I don't actually see or use that many octal numbers,
but I can just about do it in my head.

EBCDIC, I've never needed to know because ASCII won that war before I
was out of short trousers ;oP

--
Sam