Chown ???

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Fri Apr 10 14:27:59 UTC 2009

Tim wrote:

> If you're a moderately old-timer, you can do hex to binary in your head.
> If you're even older, you can do octal to decimal, and vice versa.  For
> extra brownie points, you know EBCDIC in your head.  ;-)

Still do octal. Used to know EBCDIC, used to know JCL DD cards, used to
know BCEDIC, used to know Baudot 5-level. Still probably know Unix dd.
Once knew someone who built himself a computer out of old pinball
machines and an Oliver typewriter. I also remember when I walked to
school through snow deeper than I was tall, and it was uphill both ways.

My computers are old, too, but not THAT old.