xorg virtual / panning question

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Apr 10 17:41:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 16:43 +0100, Sharpe, Sam J wrote:
> 2009/4/10 Sharpe, Sam J <sam.sharpe+lists.redhat at gmail.com>:
> > 2009/4/10 Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:
> >> I am getting no traction on xorg mail list - perhaps I cannot ask in a
> >> way that makes them answer but the idea is...
> >>
> >> Fedora 11 Beta (xrandr 1.3 - yeah!)
> >>
> >> If I manually execute the command...
> >> xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1024x600 --panning 1280x1024
> >>
> >> I sort of get what I want...well, the background is tiled but my tiny
> >> 1024x600 screen becomes usable with panning and I can't understand why I
> >> can't achieve this simply with xorg.conf.
> >>
> >> Can anyone see what changes I need to make?
> > <snip>
> >
> > I know very little about this but I was keeping an eye on it for my eeePC 701.
> >
> > The changelog for Xorg 1.5.99 says:
> >
> > Matthias Hopf (5):
> >      randr: Add monitor option "Panning" for initial panning configuration
> >
> > So that says to me that somewhere in your Xorg.conf Monitor section
> > you should have a Panning keyword - which you don't have.
> >
> > Looks like you'll have to dig around in Google though as I haven't
> > seen any easy source of information about it,
>
> Or you could look at the code:
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?h=panning-for-server-1.6&id=44b89dc0a5aa23df69539754fb76c67c310530db
>
> Looks to me like:
>
> Section "Monitor"
> <snip>
>      Panning       1280x1024
> EndSection
>
> might do it...
----
death - death I say...

Parse error on line 44 of section Monitor in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        "Panning" is not a valid keyword in this section.

nope - no workee - it's an X killer, and in the man page for xorg.conf
on Fedora-11-Beta (x-server 1.6), there is absolutely no mention of
Panning at all.

FWIW - you should be able to make 'panning' work via xrandr on your Asus
with what I gave you above (adjust for the name of your display) and I
suppose I could probably add the panning command to a startup script
after login but it seems neater/cleaner/ and an end to the regression
that I could accomplish so easily on Fedora Core 4.

Thanks

Craig

believed to be clean.