sendmail and FC9/FC10

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Apr 11 20:54:52 UTC 2009

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 14:59 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>> I have had some intermittent problems with sendmail transfer mail to our
>> gateway on some FC9 and FC10 installations.  I have had to create a cron
>> job in order to force the transfer of files in /var/spool/mqueue
>>
>> 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * /usr/lib/sendmail -q
>>
>> I have TLS active on all systems.
>>
>> At some point in time after several updates the problem has now
>> disappeared on all FC10 machines, but I have one FC9 machine that
>> continues to need the cron job
>>
>> Has anyone else had this problem?  Any ideas?s

If you poke around in my posts I think you will find a note on this as part of a
discussion of NM and the evils thereof. My solution was a line in rc.local:
   sleep 30; service sendmail reload &
which seems to do the similar thing. However, the problem I saw was the sendmail
was starting before DNS was available. That caused delivery failures.

I assume you know that you can just run sendmail as a queue daemon rather than
starting it from cron.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>