install to usb, when bios does not see usb?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Apr 13 14:37:07 UTC 2009

jackson byers wrote:
> Please bear with me on this newbie question,
> my install experience is quite limited.
>
> Is it possible to install to usb external disk when bios does not see usb?

Should be possible to install to it, you have three options:
- install DVD
- Live CD using the menu install option
- Live CD using the desktop "install" icon after boot
One or more of these should work, Linux doesn't depend on BIOS to see USB.

However, the problem will be booting from USB, and that I think you will will
have to address by booting from Live CD and selecting the "boot from internal
drive" (or similar) option. Haven't tried in too long to know if you get options
on which drive, you may have to do an odd two stage boot.

The real problem may be that a machine so old it doesn't see USB in the BIOS may
also have USB-1.1 hardware, and that's likely to be unusably slow (been there).
So be aware before you start.

You could just create a bootable DVD image on USB on some other machine and just
address the booting problem, less learning experience but more direct. That *is*
advice. ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>