Kde freezes in Fedora 10

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Tue Apr 14 17:06:33 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 14 April 2009 16:02:16 Robin Laing wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 09 April 2009 18:43:09 Robin Laing wrote:
> >> I will have to try removing akonadi.  I have not found a use of it yet.
> >>   Maybe it will fix some of my problems.
> >
> > Sure.  It might make coffee for you while it's doing it :-)  What makes
> > you think that akonadi has anything to do with this?  I've seen nothing
> > in this thread to suggest it.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Anne,
>
> The post I responded to mentioned as quoted.
>
> "Disabled desktop effects and "yum remove akonadi" it's working now. "
>
> I am not using desktop effects and I have not seen any use for akonadi.
>   I don't use most of the KDE applications that work with akonadi.
>
> I am at a loss for the freezes and lockups of the system.  I am lucky to
> get 48 hours of uptime with F10.  On the weekend I ordered new
> controller cards for my HD's as the chips on the motherboard are slow
> and more RAM.

It's certainly true that KDE 4 requires more resources than KDE 3.

> This weekend the computer locked up twice yesterday with no-one logged
> in needing system reset using kdm.
>
> I am not getting anything in any of the logs to point to a problem other
> than the odd disk message related to the controller.  Some random kernel
> oops over the last two months where I get a pop-up about sending the
> info to the kernel developers.
>
> With my years of using RedHat and Fedora, this has been the worst
> experience yet.  This install is not like the rest though and I do
> accept that I may have to remove disk encryption as one level of
> testing.  If system loads are high due to encryption, it may be necessary.
>
> I am going to try the SysRq key settings and see if I have some success
> with getting some info.

I have read a good deal and come to the conclusion that almost all of this is
related to video driver issues.  You are probably aware of the fact that the
first indication of the problem came when up to date NVidia drivers were found
to make KDE 4 crawl.  After talks between KDE devs and NVidia devs it was
found the KDE 4 was using parts of the driver that had previously been assumed
to work, but since nothing really tested them, it was theoretical.  NVidia
then set out to work on the problem, and I believe that there has been a
significant improvement.  I'm not sure what the situation is with ATi drivers,
but those of us with Intel drivers are suffering a great deal.  In my case it
is just horribly slow, but I'm luckier than those that have suffered lockups.

It's worth trying some of the tips at http://userbase.kde.org/GPU-Performance
- but what helps on one system seems to be totally wrong on another, so it's
trial and error.  However, many people have been able to get a considerable
improvement this way.

I don't think that akonadi is in any way implicated in this.  You may well be
right that you don't need it, but I don't think it has any impact whatsoever
on this case.

HTH

Anne