Java 5.0 and com.sun packages

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Thu Apr 16 13:56:51 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 09:44 -0400, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageWriter,
> com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsDesktopManager).
>
>   Is there anything on the Fedora repositories that fixes the problem,
> perhaps even a different Java? Do I need Sun's Java to work on this
> project? Or something else from Sun?

OpenJDK is 1.6 which is approximately a superset of 1.5.  Of course,
those internal classes that begin with com.sun may have changed but
they're internal so there's no guarantee :)

If you absolutely *must* use a Sun 1.5 JDK, just grab the one from Sun
and either run eclipse with it (eclipse -vm /path/to/Sun/java/bin) or
add it as a JRE in Eclipse and make your project build against it [1].

Andrew

[1]
http://help.eclipse.org/ganymede/topic/org.eclipse.jdt.doc.user/tasks/task-add_new_jre.htm

you can set your project to build against it by right-clicking on the
project, selecting properties, picking "Java Build Path" and changing
the "JRE System Library" to your alternative one.