kernel-2.6.29.1-30 doesn't boot

Joonas Sarajärvi muepsj at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 17:12:49 UTC 2009

2009/4/16 Dan <my.accountnow at ntlworld.com>:
> Just updated the kernel about an hour ago.
>
> Fedora 10 (x86)
> Dell GX240
> VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF
>
> When booting it gets as far as "starting anacron" and then I just
> get a black screen with keyboard and mouse frozen.
> Dmesg and boot log offer no hints.
>
> Anyone come across this or have any suggestions?

After installing the same kernel from updates-testing along with all
the other 'testing updates, I have run into a similar issue.

First, I noticed that unlike with 2.6.27, KMS is now enabled on my
hardware. However, booting seemed to get stuck in the same place as on
your machine. After getting stuck, only the ACPI event from the power
button seemed to do anything meaningful (The system shut down cleanly,
though without any output to the screen).

After adding the nomodeset word to the kernel boot parameters, the
system acts as it used to. No KMS, no getting stuck at the end of
boot. Try doing the same if you suspect it has anything to do with
KMS.

The hardware where this happens is an IBM Thinkpad T41, with the
following graphics card:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon
Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj at gmail.com