What's the difference between /etc/init.d and /sbin/service

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Sat Apr 18 16:59:27 UTC 2009

On 04/18/2009 04:53 PM, Remi Collet wrote:
> One typical issue is environment variable need to start "apache" defined
> in root interactive session and not during boot process.
> (Such variable must be add to /etc/sysconfig/apache)
>
> So please : don't use directly /etc/init.d/foo script

Exactly what is the problem with the apache /etc/init.d/-script?

I more or less never uses /sbin/services, I always use the
/etc/init.d/-scripts directly. And regarding apache I have not seen any
side effects, but perhaps I have missed something?

/Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/