Installing AdobeReader Plugin on X86_64

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sun Apr 19 01:10:04 UTC 2009

Jim wrote:
> FC 10-X86_64 /KDE
> I have the Adobereader installed in /opt and in /usrlib/mozilla/plugins
> and /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins there is a nppdf.so, and
> nspluginwrapper-X86_64 is installed and and shows up in Firefox
> about:plugins.

You must have both nspluginwrapper.x86_64 *AND* nspluginwrapper.i386
installed on your system for this to work properly.  In order to get the
i386 installed, your yum should be configured so that it properly
installs all of the necessary .i386 dependencies automatically for you.
(make sure you have
	exactarch=0
  in /etc/yum.conf)

> There is no nspluginwrapper-i386 in the X86_64 repos.
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I saw that term in a FAQ concerning .DEB software.  Please note the
names I used above for the proper rpms.  I leave the Adobe-i386 repo
enabled all the time on my x86_64 laptop.  I have no problems with it
that way.  I just add the appropriate .x86_64 or .i386 suffix when I
need them.

> Before you start guessing that I need the nspluginwrapper-i386, because
> it is a AdobeReader-i386, ARE YOU SURE ???
> About two weeks ago I did the same install on another X86_64 and got
> the AdobeReader plugin working then but on this install I can't

When you are done installing both the i386 and x86_64 versions of
nspluginwrapper, you can then install the .i386 version of AdobeReader.

Finally, it won't hurt if you then run:

	mozilla-plugin-config -i

(it has a --help argument) to make sure all is well.

Personally,  I find the Adobe Reader a resource HOG under firefox.  It
sometimes goes hog wild chewing up either all available memory, all
available CPU, or both!  I can't leave it open in Firefox.  I have to
periodically close Firefox if I've recently viewed any PDFs with Adobe's
reader in it or my x86_64 laptop becomes unusable.  I've reconfigured my
i386 servers to use evince and/or xpdf as it has less resource problems
when I'm dealing with PDFs.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com