CPU freq & core temp

DJ Delorie dj at delorie.com
Wed Apr 22 04:49:44 UTC 2009

Dale Galekovic <dgalekov at bellsouth.net> writes:
> First are you over clocking ???

It's a pre-built DELL box, no overclocking.  When all four cores are
running at full speed (3.16MHz) for extended periods, the temp gets up
around 85 C and the fans all speed up.  I'd rather keep it cooler than
that.  One way is to reduce the clock speed.  Another way is to dust
the fans off, which I'll also be doing :-)

g <geleem at bellsouth.net> writes:
> anyway, iirc, lm-sensors must be running to see cpu temp and in turn
> 'scale' cpu speed. [iirc]

I have a valid lm-sensors config ("sensors" tells me the four core
temps). I have /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.* and they tell me the
right core temps.

The question is, how do I connect the core temp readings to the cpu
frequency control?  The old userspace cpufreq had command line options
for doing that.