Remote administration of FC 10 headless servers.

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Apr 22 15:12:16 UTC 2009

Wendell Nichols wrote:
> I just installed FC10 on my home server.  I access it via xrdp.  The
> first time I tried to install some packages via the graphical package
> manager it told me that I was not using a local console, and exited.
> This machine doesn't have a console!  How are we supposed to administer
> headless servers?
> wcn

And on a side note, you can also use vnc to do GUI type things like
installing apps and updates as well.  I do recommend though that you
learn the command line, at least /some/ of it. You'll find it's much
faster to do things and things can be done from the CLI on slow (ie
mobile phone, dial-up) links that would kill a remote GUI program.

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415