Virtualization for Beginner

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 16:05:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Alan Evans <ame.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Erik P. Olsen <epodata at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Okay, maybe the piece of cake was a little larger than what I remember :-)
>> I actually went to http://www.virtualbox.org, downloaded the package for
>> Fedora and did a yum localinstall
>
> And they don't have a pre-made version for F10 available at that site
> that I can find.

If you look closely the version for F9 is the same is F10. I haven't
gotten it to install in F11 though, there are multiple dependency
issues. One of which is Python 2.5 as I believe F11 standardizes on
2.6.

> In any case, the last time I attempted to install VirtualBox it was
> not a piece of cake. That was about a year or year-and-a-half ago, so
> I hope it has gotten much easier since then. After an hour of trying
> to set up a simple network bridge for the VM to use, I gave up. An
> hour of my time cost our company more than a new VMWare license. Got
> the license, installed the RPM, ran the (mostly automated) setup
> script, created the new virtual machine by clicking the big, friendly
> button, selected "Use Bridged Networking," done. Now that was a piece
> of cake.

It's pretty easy, just make sure you install "dkms" as I'm not sure if
that will get pulled in by default when doing "yum localinstall ..."
That way it will rebuild the kernel module on boot every new kernel
update. Otherwise you'll get an error when trying to start VirtualBox
and have to go back and do "service vboxdrv setup" or something like
that. I've had very few problems running it under F10.

Richard