Virtualization for Beginner

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Apr 22 17:21:56 UTC 2009

das wrote:
> Hello Friends
>
> As a member of a local linux group called GLT, a few different distros
> of GNU-Linux we have to handle. One or two versions of each Fedora,
> Ubuntu, and OpenSuse.
>
> Earlier, I installed more than one Linux on the HD just for getting
> some suggestion when someone is in problem. Gradually, due to the UUID
> and all this is becoming problemsome. One brute way out is to rewrite
> 'fstab' with device-names in place of UUID-s. But people say these
> days a lot of applications read the UUID-s, so this may get
> problemsome.
>
> So, after some friends suggested, I now want to go into
> virtualization. And I know nothing. I have a really huge amount of HD
> space, and 4GB memory. And my CPU has the virtualization flags. I am
> myself using Fedora 11 Beta and I want to have virtual installations
> of Ubuntu and OpenSuse on my system.
>
> Can you people please suggest me from where to start, some good
> documentation, and not too technical. We are a Linux-User group,
> mainly teachers in profession.
>
> Thanking You

Ok, I followed that wonderful guide, installed VirtualBox,
and chose XP as my first Virtual Machine, but I was
perplexed with "Virtual Hard Disk" menu.

It seems that VM Wizard wants to create an "image", but my
problem is, that I already have a multiboot setup with XP in
it's own primary partition.

The choices I have is to:
1) Create new hard disk
2) Use existing hard disk

and then it has a drop down for `media'

What exactly does it mean by choice (2)?

Do I have to use the XP CD/DVD and create a NEW
hard disk partition or what?  What are my options?

Thanks!
Dan