Q about installing F10 from Live DVD

David dgboles at comcast.net
Wed Apr 22 17:40:03 UTC 2009

On 4/21/2009 5:10 PM, jackson byers wrote:

>> if it insists on that, I wasnt prepared for it,
>> having only sdb6 i was willing to give to f10.

> I wrote about this the other day but I don't recall ever seeing it show up.

> First: A Live-CD *does not* install separate packages. A Live-CD writes
> itself to your hard similar to the way you burn an ISO to a CD.

> It will *erase your harddisk* and then write itself exactly as it is. You
> have no choices of anything.

> You boot the CD. You are looking at the OS running from memory. You decide
> to install it to your harddrive so you click the install icon. It formats
> your drive and writes itself to your drive. Exactly as it is on the CD. You
> reboot, answer a few questions and you are basically done.

> And *whatever* was on the HD before is gone. Period.

> The size of the CD it limited but they have put what most people would need.
> Anything else you install from the online repos.

> All of that aside I would seriously doubt that you could update a Fedora
> Core 5 install directly to a Fedora 10 install anyway. Too many years and
> too many changes. If you do a fresh install the has been updates since the
> Fedora 10 Live-CD was made. Probably another CD full of them.

>  David
> ---------------
>>It formats
>>your drive and writes itself to your drive.
>>Exactly as it is on the CD. You
>>reboot, answer a few questions and you are basically done.

> yes but that doesnt answer my confusion as to how it chooses
> the hard drive or harddrive partition to write on.
> and whether it is forcing LVM on me
> and whether it is forcing a separate /boot partition.
> I have two scsi disks, sda, sdb
> I was trying to point it to my sdb6
> it clobbered my sda1

> Are you saying liveinstallcd will try to
>  take over my either my entire sda  or my entire sdb?

As I understand the Live-CD installs to the primary (boot) disk. That would
be sda. It will have a / in sda1 and a swap in sda6. It will be LVM.

>> I would seriously doubt that you could update a Fedora
>>Core 5 install directly to a Fedora 10 install anyway.

> ??? this  doesnt make sense to me.
> I thot the liveinstall was a fresh install,
> nothing to do with "update"

So you are trying to keep FC-5 and install Fedora 10 on a different physical
drive? I thought that you were trying to update the FC-5 because FC-5 is so
old, out of date, and a possible security risk since it is not getting updates.

It takes the install DVD to actually install Fedora 10 on a drive other that
the boot drive. Again. As I understand it.
--

  David