Remote administration of FC 10 headless servers.

Steve Ellis ellis at brouhaha.com
Wed Apr 22 20:52:24 UTC 2009

Mark Haney wrote:
> Tim Waugh wrote:
>
>> Mark Haney wrote:
>>
>>> And on a side note, you can also use vnc to do GUI type things like
>>> installing apps and updates as well.
>>>
>> No, this hasn't worked for me on Fedora 10 for a while (yes, bugzilla
>> report filed).
>>
>> Is it actually working for you?  Are you using the 'vncserver'
>> initscript to start the VNC session?
>>
>> Tim.
>> */
>>

> Yes and yes.  It works perfectly for me.  I've had no trouble at all.

Like Tim and unlike Mark, I also have trouble with this--I believe this
is a selinux-enabled problem with respect to PackageKit/PolicyKit and
VNC sessions, at least based on the googling that I've been able to do.
I've tried changing policy from my actual console (which is
inconveniently 7 feet off the ground in the garage), but have thus far
been unable to have much luck--I haven't tried completely wide-open
policies though.  I did install yumex for finding installables,
however.   I use 'yum update' from the command line for regular updating.

-se