Q about installing F10 from Live DVD

David dgboles at comcast.net
Wed Apr 22 21:49:30 UTC 2009

On 4/22/2009 4:19 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
> 2009/4/22 David <dgboles at comcast.net>:

>>> Thanks for the thought, but I'm aware of the XFCE Live CDs. My
>>> question is since live CDs don't offer the option to choose the kind
>>> of install, not even the option to choose the partition on the disk,
>>> upgrading to a clean XFCE desktop is not possible without loosing my
>>> current partitioning scheme. Is my understanding correct here?

>> With a Lived-CD. Yes. I said before that a Live-CD does not really install
>> in the common way thought of. It wipes the drive and writes itself to the
>> harddrive. Exactly as it is when it was made. Somewhat like burning an ISO
>> to a CD/DVD. What it is is what you get.

>> A update would take either the 3.4 G DVD or the set of 6 CDs.

> This is what I mentioned in my first post, the DVD _does_ not_ include
> the packages for XFCE. So the Live CD is the only way to get XFCE. If
> DVD re-spins (meaning, not Live media) were available with XFCE on
> them then that would make my day. :)

Hmm... I guess I have gotten confused between at least two, perhaps more,
conversations in this thread. You are correct, I just looked, that XFCE is
not included in the Live-CD nor is can I find it in the full DVD. XFCE would
have to be downloaded.

> BTW cheapbytes seems to be pretty cool. I'll look into that.

I had phone-line dialup for a long time sometime ago. 56k modems really only
do 33.6k so downloads of several CDs was 24/7 week long event. :-)

I bought from Cheapbytes on a recommendation of a friend and I have never
had a problem. One time I had a bad CD disk, number three, in the middle of
a set five. I emailed them asking for a new number 3 disk. They apologized.
I recieved a whole new set of five, no charge, in three days.

--

  David