How to speed up refresh for remote X11 displays via ssh

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Thu Apr 23 01:43:53 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 13:09 -0400, Dave Feustel wrote:
> I now have X11 via ssh working on F9, but refresh of the remote X11
> window is extremely slow, even over a 1GB switch.  Is there a way to
> speed up the refresh?

Suggestion: If your hardware supports it, turn on compositing
(Preferences > Look and Feel > Desktop Effects if using Gnome). As a
side effect of drawing the windows offscreen and composing them into the
final screen image, the windows are always mapped (unless minimized,
even if not on the active desktop), do not suffer any damage when
obscured, and therefore require far fewer redraws.

I often run apps at home and display them at work, and enabling Desktop
Effects makes a world of difference.

-Chris