Apache Virtual Server

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Thu Apr 30 12:30:22 UTC 2009

>  I am playing with the Zend Framework on my laptop. In my reading of
> Zend documentation it looks like Zend wants a certain directory structure
> so I created:
> /var/www/html/QuickStart/
> /var/www/html/QuickStart/application/
> /var/www/html/QuickStart/application/controllers/
> /var/www/html/QuickStart/application/views/
> /var/www/html/QuickStart/application/views/scripts/
> /var/www/html/QuickStart/library/
> /var/www/html/QuickStart/public/
>
> The last directory 'public' wants to be the DocumentRoot
> I want to set up a virtual server whose DocumentRoot is
> /var/www/html/QuickStart/public
>
> my machine's name is confianza and it is running Fedora 10
> [root at confianza conf]# uname -a
> Linux confianza 2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.i686 #1 SMP Mon Mar 23 23:37:54
> EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> I set up /etc/hosts so both confianza and confianzazend resolve to
> 127.0.0.1
> [root at confianza conf]# grep 127.0.0.1 /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1        localhost.localdomain localhost confianza confianzazend
>

> My current apache web server uses /var/www/html as it's DocumentRoot and
> runs fine.
>

> [root at confianza conf]# yum list installed | grep -i http
> httpd.i386                              2.2.11-2.fc10
> installed
> httpd-tools.i386                        2.2.11-2.fc10
> installed
> jakarta-commons-httpclient.i386         1:3.1-0.3.fc10
> installed
> system-config-httpd.noarch              5:1.4.4-2.fc10
> installed
> [root at confianza conf]# yum list installed | grep -i zend
> php-ZendFramework.noarch
>
> I edited /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf as follows:
> #
> ServerName confianza:80
> NameVirtualHost *:80
> #
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName confianza
> DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
> </VirtualHost>
> #
> <VirtualHost *:80>
> ServerName confianzazend
> DocumentRoot "/var/www/html/QuickStart/public"
> </VirtualHost>
>
> I then restart httpd
> [root at confianza html]# service httpd restart
> Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
> Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
>

> I want http://confianza to return the contents of /var/www/html
> I want http://confianzazend to return the contents of
> /var/www/html/QuickStart
>

> What is happening is that both http://confianza and http://confianzazend
> are both returning the contents of /var/www/html
>
> I've looked at several web pages and they all say the same thing, this
> should just work (TM). It seems simple enough yet my problem persists.
> What else do I need to do?

> [...]

Dennis:

Having read the entire thread, so far, I don't believe that anyone else
has actually identified the issue.

The issue is the use of:

<VirtualHost *:80>

You've got a wildcard in every "VirtualHost" declaration.  As a result,
you're going to match on the very first VirtualHost, and never get past
it.

Instead, your VirtualHost declaration needs to be specific about the
hostname (or FQDN) for which it is supposed to serve up the particular web
pages.

What you need to do, instead, is set:

<VirtualHost confianza:80>

and