environment variables

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jun 3 19:47:49 UTC 2009

Thufir wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 09:43:31 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> Thufir wrote:
>>> Just curious about the best way to manage env var's.  I edited /etc/
>>> profile which works fine, but what happens when a new version of java
>>> gets installed?
>>>

>> A better way is to add files to /etc/profile.d - you can use the ones
>> there as examples. The ones with ending in .csh are used if you are
>> using a c type shell, (csh, tcsh, etc) and the ones ending in .sh are
>> for sh type shells. (sh, bash, zsh, etc)
>
> I would assume that this is a common problem with a common solution
> represented in a repository.  Is that incorrect?

What happens is that packages manage their own files in the
/etc/profile.d directory. It gets a bit more complicated when you
can have 2 or more packages that offer the same function, but you
can only have one in use at a time. This is where Alternatives
Configurator  and the /etc/alternatives directory come in. It lets
you do things like chose between packages like Postfix or Sendmail.
It lets you pick what version of Java you are going to use.

These are all managing things on a system level. You can also manage
some things on a per-user basis. This is where things like .bashrc,
bash_profile, etc come in.

Mikkel