Joining wireless and wired networks

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jun 3 14:22:19 UTC 2009

James Allsopp wrote:
> Hi,
> I've a computer at home I'm using for a network gateway, which has two
> ethernet cards and a wireless card. One of the ethernet cards connects
> to the outside world and the wireless side of the network connects to
> the internet using iptables to provide NAT and forward the packets over.
> The system is also running a dhcp server for the providing IP addresses
> to the wireless clients.
>
> What I want to do now is bring in the other ethernet card so computers
> attached to that part of the network can connect to the internet and
> access the services of the other machines on the network, regardless of
> whether they're on the gateway or the wireless network.
>
> I was considering bridging the wireless and the wired networks, but just
> wanted to ask for opinions, other options. I''m loooking at eventually
> getting a job working with linux systems, so it doesn't have to be a
> "what would be best in a home environment" solution.
>
> Thanks for the help,
> James

Setting up a bridge interface using the two NICs is probably the
simplest. But if you want to play, you could put each NIC on its own
subnet, and set up routing between them. It isn't too hard if you
are using static addressing. If you are using dhcp, setting up the
dhcp server is interesting.

Mikkel