Common F11 Bugs

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Fri Jun 5 22:40:03 UTC 2009

David wrote:
> On 6/5/2009 5:22 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

>>> First off Firefox in F11 is FF 3.5 beta 4.
>>>
>>> I have seen you mention this problem before today. And I have not seen
>>> any 'me too' replies. This must be a problem with your setup or system.
>>>
>>> Is this with *all* sites? Or just some? Surely not just one site? Give
>>> an example URL please.
>>>
>>> Do you have the same extensions installed in both Firefox and Seamonkey?
>>>
>>> Do you use Flash Block? If a site is blocked, the default, it can slow
>>> the site down as it fights to display.
>>>
>>> Another thing to look at is the 'languages' installed in Firefox by
>>> Fedora. You, I figure, speak English which is built in. Disable the many
>>> other languages.
>>>
>>> I have a couple of other ideas but start here.
>>>
>> I tend to start by creating a new user account to see if the problem
>> persists there.  If not, it's related to my account, which is somewhat
>> of a different situation than having a useless app.
>>

> Another good suggestion. I agree.

And something else I have seen impact Firefox performance more obviously
than other kinds of applications is whether IPV6 is enabled or not.
Apparently it has to do with how name resolution is attempted, and the
kinds of responses or timeouts that occur in your environment.  It is an
easy thing to test by blocking the ipv6 module from loading and
rebooting.  On F10 I add a line to /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf.dist:

# Prevent ipv6 being loaded
install net-pf-10 /bin/true