Common F11 Bugs [firefox being crushingly slow, that is]

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Jun 6 12:12:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Jim wrote:

> On 06/05/2009 04:43 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> > On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 16:25:55 -0400 (EDT)
> > Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > >    do any of those bugs refer to the fact that (at least for me)
> > > firefox is still teeth-grindingly slow?   i've mentioned this before
> > > and i've tried everything i can think of to speed it up but, at this
> > > point, it's utterly unusable.  even sitting there, it perpetually
> > > sucks up 100% of the CPU on a dual core system, while seamonkey will
> > > happily sit there, idling along at about 0.8%.
> > >
> > There must be something really wrong with your system.  I have
> > never seen that on any of numerous Fedora machines, unless you're
> > at a web page that's using a lot of CPU to show you something or
> > if something has got Firefox stuck in a tight loop of some kind.
> > In either case, simply closing and re-opening Firefox solves the
> > problem.  Doing "nothing", Firefox uses an insignificant amount of
> > CPU.
> >
> > Do you have some Firefox extension that's causing problems?  What
> > happens if you remove all Firefox extensions?
> >
> My Firefox was really dragging it's feet, I noticed the Language Packs were
> all enabled, I disabled them all except for English (Great Britain) I did not
> see any English (USA) so I accepted (Great Britain) When I speak with a
> Englishman I generally  can understand what their saying.
> And it made my Firefox a lot faster.

  rather than try to debug the system/browser as it is on this f11
(preview) system, i figure it's smarter to just wait for f11 GA, start
from scratch, and configure firefox without any cruft or baggage i may
have inadvertantly stuffed in there and see what happens.

  i'll go back through the last few emails, collect the suggestions
and try to implement what i can and see what makes a difference.
sorry to have harped on this for a while but firefox has been my
browser of choice for quite some time, and it was painful to have to
simply give up on because it started to have a response time of, like,
minutes.

  here's hoping it's only because i did something appallingly stupid.

rday

p.s.  i don't *think* this slowdown corresponded to installing the
newest flash player.  but i'll leave that out after the install, do
some testing, then install and see the difference.

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday