Fedora linux system -query

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jun 6 20:37:07 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-06 at 08:57 -0700, Jyotishmaan Ray wrote:

> Dear all Linux users,
>
> I am not so old user in Linux os.
>
> I have a query in a given set up.
>

> I have a dns which is a openLDAP server too in a given network ( ip's
> are  in 192.168.8.x series ).
>
> I have a mail server and a webserver too.
>
> I have two proxy servers connected in the same network (vlan).(Ip is
> 192.168.8.y). The proxies are having two network cards- one for
> internal link and another for the external link (ip is in the range
> opf 210.212.z.y series).
----
perhaps this is a poor word choice or you are just not adequately
describing but a proxy server is software like say squid. It sounds more
like you have 2 servers that 'masquerade' for computers on the
192.168.8.0 network to everything on the Internet. If that is the case,
then these computers would be 'routers' and not proxy servers. There is
a difference between a router and a proxy server (though a computer
could be both a router and a proxy server).
----

> There is one external dns server whose ip is 210.212.z.y.
>
> Now the query is :
>
> My LDAP authentication does not happen wehn i try to log into either
> 192.168.8.5 from 192.168.8.1.
>
> Is it dues to some missing RSA or soemthing else ?
----
not RSA, maybe something else. Can the LDAP server provide
authentication to user logins on localhost? All services?
----

> Also let me know if i have to check/ modify the ARP table ? Also
> please let me know if the internal DNS server's ARP table must have
> the entry for the external dns server too?
----
arp tables are automatic...no reason to try to change them.
----
> However wehn I tried doing so, it has given me error ?
>
> Please provide me the pointers as to resolve the problems of ssh log
> in and the link between the internal DNS and external DNS server.
>
> Please note that the resolv.conf files have been updated in all
> the servers.
----
first I start on the primary LDAP server itself...

ssh some_user at localhost

can this person log in?

then from another computer on the LAN (192.168.8.0/24) can this same
user login?

ssh some_user at 192.168.8.?

if not, perhaps firewall is blocking.

Nothing you are describing so far indicates a problem with DNS or ARP
tables. When you are troubleshooting, turn up your log levels so you get
more detail in your logs.

Craig

believed to be clean.