do I have to worry about these disk errors?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200906 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 15:35:20 UTC 2009

Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.net> writes:
> Basically I see a 1 where the Reallocated_Sector_Ct is.  Is this thing
> going bad?

Yes, grown errors after manufacture are a very bad thing according to
Google's observations over their vast disk array.  In fact, they
mentioned that it was the only SMART error that predicted the onset of
disk failure.

     http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf

Hey, if you want to feel better, I just got a new Seagate 7200.12 that
grew its first sector error at ~200 power on hours.  We are talking less
than 10 days ontime and I think some of that on time was at Seagate
getting burned in.  Good work guys.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              Android 1.5 (Cupcake) and Fedora-11