Skype under Fedora-10

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 8 00:51:25 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-06-07 at 18:05 +0300, Veli-Pekka Kestilä wrote:
> That feature actually is one which is missing from sip, if someone
> would make opensource voip-solution which would be secure and use p2p
> as transport we could maybe see real alternative to skype. Truth is
> that there is a lot of computers which cannot act as a server and
> no-one will want to host voip server for free (in large scale) so that
> two of these behind nat computers could talk with eachother.

They don't have to do that.  The only peer-to-peer thing really
necessary is the two sides of the conversation.  You don't need to have
a mass of peer-to-peer strangers connected together, this isn't file
sharing.

There could quite easily be a simple server installed on ISPs, like they
(nearly) all have mail servers, that simply managed the locating of
their users online (status and IP), then the clients direct connect
together.  i.e. The server has a very small, comparatively speaking,
workload.

There's no need for there to be abusing individuals as a server for all
and sundry.  And it'd be far better for everyone if ISPs ran a few more
servers, like VOIP and instant messaging, which weren't client
dependent.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.24-78.2.53.fc9.i686