Skype under Fedora-10

Anne Wilson annew at kde.org
Mon Jun 8 10:41:51 UTC 2009

On Monday 08 June 2009 10:22:39 Tim wrote:
> Veli-Pekka Kestilä:
> > As a partial owner of ISP i can tell you that if somone isn't paying
> > for that server it's not going to happen.
>
> They're called customers...
>
> ISPs will buy expensive server software, if they see that it's the
> easiest solution for them.  Or they'll buy cheap, or get free, if
> they're prepared to do more of the work, themselves.
>
> This is no different than running mail, news, and web servers.
> Customers expect mail and web pages from most ISPs, at the very least.
> One day VOIP will be one of the attractors to choosing one ISP over
> another.

I chose my ISP on quality of service, knowing that they are not cheap.  In a
recent survey they scored high marks on all counts, but in the summary were
marked way down.  Reason?  They said that they are too expensive.

I agree that VOIP will be one attractor, but I'm not so sure that people will
be willing to pay extra to get it.  It seems that most people want everything
for nothing, or as near to it as they can get.

Anne