Looking for a URI that will work from Fedora to Windows printer.

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Jun 9 15:45:36 UTC 2009

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I had this working for years. I could print from my Fedora printserver
> to a Windows XP with a HP Laserjet 1020 printer. My machine crashwed so
> I had to rebuild the server. Now I can't find a URI that will work in
> printing using CUPS from the Fedora machine to the Windows machine.
>
> The 1020 is on a usb port. Can someone make a suggestion?

For printing from Fedora to a Windows printer:

smb://WINSERVERNAME\WinUserID:Password@WINDOMAIN/winservername/PrinterName

where:
	WINSERVERNAME is the DNS name of the Windows machine
	WinUserID is the userid of a valid login user on the Windows machine
	Password is the password for the above Windows userid
	WINDOMAIN is the domain name or workgroup name to which the Windows
machine belongs
	winservername is the windows machine name again
and	PrinterName is the name of the printer you are trying to print to

It is supposed to be possible to print without having a valid Windows
user id, but I've never been able to make it work consistently, but the
above *does* work consistently.  On the Fedora side, you'll need to
install the appropriate CUPS driver for the printer being printed to.

For printing from Windows to a Fedora printer:

	http://FedoraName:631/printers/printername

You will need to make sure that you have configured a "raw" printer
queue on the Fedora side so that the Windows printing system can print
to that (instead of the Postscript queue that CUPS uses by default).
Make sure the following is uncommented in your /etc/cps/mime.types file:

> #
> # Raw print file support...
> #
> # Comment the following type to prevent raw file printing.
> #
>
> application/octet-stream

and /etc/cups/local.conv should contain the following:

> #
> # Raw filter...
> #
> # Uncomment the following filter to allow printing of arbitrary files
> # without the -oraw option.
> #
>
> application/octet-stream	application/vnd.cups-raw	0	-

Good Luck!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com