OT: Can Reformatting A Hard Drive To ext3 Destroy All the Data On It?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 10 10:08:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 22:58 -0400, Erik Hemdal wrote:
> I know that there are a number of commercial services that offer to
> destroy disks, recycle what can be recovered, and provide you evidence
> of "observed destruction", although I don't have much experience with
> them.

To really believe that, you'd have watch them accept the drive, and
never take your eyes off it until it's destroyed.

If you're just going to get rid of a drive that you don't want any more,
you could always fill it up with porn or mp3s, so the recipient thinks
they've already got everything of interest, and never thinks to try to
recover anything else from the drive.   ;-)

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.24-78.2.53.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.