F11 - monitor doesn't sleep

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200906 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 20:54:04 UTC 2009

Brian Mury <brianmury at alumni.uvic.ca> writes:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Frank Cox<theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:
>> I didn't need to do a darn thing with the video -- it just works.  However,
>> my monitor never goes to sleep any more.
>
> I have the same problem with F11. Worked fine with F10. I might have
> been using xscreensaver on F10 (I can't remember), I am currently
> using the default gnome-screensaver on F11. I was thinking of
> replacing it with xscreensaver to see if it that would work. This is
> probably more of a gnome-power-manager issue than a screensaver issue
> though. There are a few gnome-power-manager bugs in bugzilla that may
> be related.
>
> My card is a Radeon 9200.

<aol>Me too</aol>

F11's power management for the display appears broken.  As far as I can
tell all of my F11 systems (all with ATI frambuffers) pick a totally
random number for when to power the screen down.  Most of the time after
walking away for an hour or two I see that the screensaver's logic
correctly turned all the LCD's pixels black, but the backlight is still
on.  Ironically what normally happens is that just a few seconds after I
unlock the screen and start typing the backlight gets turned off.
Wiggling the mouse of hitting some keys will turn the backlight back on.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              Android 1.5 (Cupcake) and Fedora-11