How to disable anacron?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Fri Jun 12 12:35:36 UTC 2009

Prior to fedora 11 anacron was a separate service. I could just
disable it and get rid of its incredibly annoying "helpful"
behavior which was never under any circumstances actually
helpful.

In fedora 11, there doesn't appear to be an anacron service
to disable, yet it is still every bit as annoying as always.

Is there a tutorial anywhere on just how the devil I can
get rid of anacron and just have my cron jobs run when they
are actually supposed to run or simply not run at all
if the system is down?

Do I have to remove anacron then manually supply my own
/etc/crontab and scripts to run the normal cron.daily,
cron.weekly, etc. jobs?

Is there a /etc/sysconfig/anacron file I where can set
ANACRON_DONT_HELP_ME="yes" to make anacron never try to
do anything? If there isn't one, shouldn't there be?