F11 dvd media errors

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Fri Jun 12 16:40:22 UTC 2009

On 06/12/2009 11:46 AM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Patrick O'Callaghan<pocallaghan at gmail.com>  said:
>> Interesting thought. In fact there's no reason an install DVD can't
>> offer you stuff that's not physically present. ...
>
> Um, I'm pretty sure it already does that.  The network repos are listed,
> you just have to click to enable them.

Yep. I saw that you could enable other repos during the f11 install.

> What Alan is talking about is a little more difficult, because you'd
> have to have the network as a fall-back for the local media....

A fallback would be slick, but I'd be happy it it would just stop
installing packages and do whatever final set up is needed to leave a
bootable, if not entirely complete, system.

Of course, if a critical package(s) is missing it won't boot, but IME,
most media errors come late in the install after all the critical stuff
is already loaded. Better to end up with a system that I could at least
try to boot, and then decide how to proceed. Instead, the system is a
brick until the problem is diagnosed (drive? disk?) and fixed.

Even "Abort, Retry, Ignore?" was better than a halt and a dead box.

<Joe