Fresh Fedora 11 fetches 362MB+ of updates, where's deltaRPM?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jun 13 04:45:03 UTC 2009

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Maybe we'd be better off getting a combination of rpm compression with
> lzma ala OpenSUSE.

Better compression is not a replacement for DeltaRPMs, the savings can be
combined!

I also hope we'll see LZMA payloads soon. Gzip is really bad. Other
distributions have at least been using bzip2, which compresses
significantly better, but Fedora refused it for CPU consumption reasons.
LZMA is faster than bzip2, at least for decompression, and usually
compresses better. (It compresses a lot better than gzip in any case.)

        Kevin Kofler