cnn.com video weirdness solved (though not understood)

Carl D. Roth roth at ursus.net
Sat Jun 13 17:20:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:17:44 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:

> Something in my old .mozilla directory was apparently preventing me from
> seeing cnn.com video. I could look at youtube, videos from the
> mythbusters site, etc, just never got anything to work on cnn.com.
>
> I could even chroot to my old fedora 10 root and run firefox from there
> and see cnn.com videos fine.
>
> Anyway, whatever the heck was going on, starting with a fresh .mozilla
> directory made things all better (but I can't imagine why cnn was
> singled out - is fedora project sponsored by fox news maybe? :-).

The scripts that run on the CNN video pages generate a security exception
in Firefox whenever you have any sort of cookie control enabled.
Specifically, things like "ask me every time" in the cookie security
settings will cause issues, even if you had previously allowed the cnn.com
cookie(s).  You can see traces of this if you look at your javascript
error console:

Error: [Exception... "Security error"  code: "1000" nsresult: "0x805303e8
(NS_ERROR_DOM_SECURITY_ERR)"  location: "http://i.cdn.turner.com/
cnn/.element/js/2.0/StorageManager.js Line: 165"]
Source File: http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/js/2.0/StorageManager.js
Line: 165